14 May Tips To help your dog have a smoother transition when boarding
Posted at 13:19h in Pet Boarding, Pet Care
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN BOARDING YOUR DOG OR CAT, HOW TO MAKE THE TRANSITION A SMOOTH ONE FOR YOU ….AND YOUR PET……
- Leaving your pet at a boarding facility , particularly for the first time can be a very stressful and very difficult event for both you and your pet! It is very very normal to worry about how your pet will be feeling, as well as to experience a GUILT COMPLEX! After all you are leaving your best loyal friend in an environment that is unfamiliar. Pets function the best in consistent routines. Being away from home and without his or her “parents” can be alot like a child’s first day of kindergarten. Once he/she settles in and makes friends, he /she is happy to be here. Sometimes, however, we all have busy schedules or we need a get away for a much needed rest! this is when we will help in taking care of our very loved family members. NOT ALL ….Boarding kennels are not all the same as they were when we were young. Many are changing with the times, as we are! We are a fun filled upscale vacation get away for your pets. Dogs are pack animals and enjoy spending time with other four legged friends! They are pampered their whole stay, and treated like kings! They can be scheduled for a therapeutic massage, a special treat, a weekend party, a spa day, a grooming, yappy hour or a swim in our UV filtered pond,with his/her own life guard., We have Special get together’s and events which make our resort a one of a kind, Pet experience!!! Our 30 wooded acres of nature trails, privacy far away from cars and people and our park settings ,while playing in “central BARK” wraps it all up!. We have striven for 25 years to make our resort a fulfilled vacation and a home away from home , We have become a place that MANY CONCERNED pet owners have come to count on ,to bring their pets .They know ahead of time that their babies will have a great experience and a safe ,fun filled vacation. WITHOUT THE GUILT! We hope the information below can help put you at ease about leaving your pet with us, as well as inform you about what you can do to make your pets vacation as fun and relaxing as yours. WE HOPE TO ADD YOU TO OUR AFFORDABLE FAMILY! WERE WE HAVE EVERYTHING UNDER ONE “WOOF” WHETHER IT IS BOARDING -GROOMING -DOGGIE DAYCARE,OR JUST A VISIT TO OUR DOG PARK “CENTRAL BARK” AND HAVE YOUR PET TAKE A RUN THROUGH OUR NEW DOGGIE RACEWAY…A FAST PACED ,TIMED OBSTACLE COURSE FOR YOUR PET. IT IS A THRILL FOR YOU, AS PROUD PARENTS TO WATCH YOUR SUPERSTAR..FLY THROUGH THE COURSE.
- While adjusting, to a new routine as well as to new sights and sounds (which animals are more sensitive to than human beings ) Your pet can be more susceptible to stress related illnesses like G.I. upset, diarrhea, and infections. For a good example Kennel Cough,, is a doggie cold, and is a very contagious bronchitis.The reason for the name “Kennel Cough” is that it is known for its ability to spread easily between dogs in a Boarding situation. While we require vaccinations for all animals staying at our resort as a precaution it is still possible for a pet to contract a contagious illness in a communal situation. We do our best to sanitize and keep an immaculate facility, we use Vet grade quatriside disinfectant’s 2x per day and wash all of our bedding and bowls , and yards two times a day as well. We also have a ventilation system that has a ionizer and air purifier, Keep TV’s and movies on and burn essential oils to enhance relaxation. How ever we still can have incidence of kennel cough, it is rare ,but can happen .Some times dogs can be carriers and not show signs at drop off or they can actually pick up a slight reaction from a live virus and spread it to his boarding friends. We have gone to many measures to ensure your pet a wonderful and fun vacation, we offer many activities and as well as give extra attention to every lodging guest to try to help make your pet enjoy his/her stay, as well as stay healthy and happy!! Here are some helpful tips…that we recommend to help transition your pet.
- Bring Your pet’s own food.
- During your pets stay with us it’s usually best if they can eat their own food. It will be one less change for them and they will be more likely to eat and less likely to have a digestive upset due to a drastic food change. If you would like to bring a blanket, towel or, T shirt that smells like home that is fine too. If your dog is a picky eater we have no problem with you bringing extra goodies like boiled chicken or other enhancements. We have a refrigerator and freezer in house , and gladly will accommodate your pet.
- Try not drop your dog off minutes before we close.
- We understand that spending as much time as possible with your best friend is important to you. However, the best thing for your dog is to drop them off at least a few hours before we close so that they have plenty of time to get familiar with their surroundings and our staff , before they get tucked in bed. We are open for drop off from 8- 11 and 4 -6 PM seven days a week. Our care takers are live in, but we try to go by these hours in order to spend as much time as we can with our boarding guests. Try to fill out your paperwork ahead of drop off ,which is available on our web site, in the “FORMS” section at the bottom of the page on our site to save your self some time. Dropping off early, will also give us a chance to evaluate your pet and still be able to catch you for any questions or concerns.
- Try our daycare service for $28 per day If your canine friend has not spent alot of time socializing around other dogs , or is new to our resort, we suggest bringing them for a day of daycare before boarding them for the first time. This allows them to become more comfortable with the facility, our routine and staff. If your canine friend is well socialized but has never stayed at a boarding kennel before we still suggest coming for a day of daycare. This environment will be new to your pup and he may not have his normal level of confidence at first. Pets operate best during consistent behaviors and do not have a sense of the element of time, so being picked up from daycare, will assure your bestfriend he /she will also be picked up after his stay.
- LABEL YOUR PETS MEDICATION & CLEARLY WRITE INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE DOSAGE
- If your pet takes medications, make sure they are clearly marked with their names, the type of medications, the dosage, and the conditions that your pet has, as well as why he/she is on medication. Labels that are damaged or smeared should be replaced. In addition, please inform the staff what time of day the medication is usually given. Please notate any health concerns or signs we need to look for.
- PRIVATE BELONGINGS AND SPECIAL ADDITIONS OR REQUESTS
- Owners often wish to provide a special toy, blanket, or other item that “smells like home” for their PET. While this is understandable, there are some guidelines that should be considered. In any boarding situation, items are frequently moved from the lodging area’s to be cleaned for example while cleaning and disinfecting the kennel itself . It can sometimes be difficult to separate Rover’s blue blanket from Bruno’s blue blanket, especially once they enter the laundry basket! Although it is your decision, we advise our customers, if you are interested in having your belongings returned, DON’T leave blankets or leashes with us, as these are the most common items to get mixed up. We consider all blanket’s brought to be a kennel donation! We also recommend NOT leaving any sentimental or special items ,any items left for a pet could be easily shredded, torn, or soiled with bleach ,as well as lost or mixed up.
- UPON RETURNING HOME
- After returning home, pets often sleep more than usual for the first 24 hours and may also have a decreased appetite for 24‐36 hours. They are running and playing here all day, and they sleep more often when at home, they also get extra goodies and vacation foods, just like we do . CHECK OUT THE EXTRA AMENITIES AVAILABLE IN OUR CUSTOMIZE YOUR VACATION SECTION “YOUR PET WITH BE BONE-A-FIDE SPOILT! When we get home and need a “vacation from our vacation” So your baby may be tired from his fun filled stay or from being up to late watching movies. Keep a watchful eye for any signs of stress‐related illness, ” a soft stool is normal after a change in food and routine. If your pet seems excessively lethargic, vomits, has moderate to severe diarrhea or does not seem to be back to normal within 24 to 36 hours after returning home,or is running a fever ,the best thing to do is to consult with a veterinarian. Also please give us a call to let us know, so we can make a note, to perhaps cut down on the goodies next time or that we may have something brewing in our facility this way ,we can notify our other guests, in advance of an upcoming issue they may want to avoid. A doctor can address any concerns you may have.
- Being an informed owner helps make boarding a better experience for everyone! Feel free to call with any concerns or questions that you may have about our boarding and daycare resort.. Don’t worry.!!!! Your pet is coming to a great place, for Boarding, Grooming or Daycare or to shop in our pet boutique and the minute you leave,he will start his/her vacation,as you will….Once he/she comes to visit us a time or two, he wont want to leave,and you will feel insulted rather than guilty!